Tuesday, April 7, 2015

April Fool's Day at Aimee's

It so happened that April Fool’s Day fell on the first of April this year. So when I left the house for my daily walk to the river, I took a classy glass and a lime with me. On the way out, I left them with Reid at Aimee's coffee shop with a request to play along when I headed back to whoever was starting their shift at four. He said that it would be Christina. Perfect.

It was a fine day and I enjoyed my walk. When I finally walked into Aimee’s, Christina was behind the counter and we exchanged some pleasant chit chat. Then she asked me what I wanted and I paused and said I’d like something a little different.

“How about a San Pellagrino Limonada in a classy glass with ice and a slice of lime?”

Christina smiled and explained that Aimee’s only had the regular plastic glasses – but they did have lemons.

I tried to get irate. After all, I had been coming into Aimee’s since before she started working here. I wasn’t really asking for all that much, after all. And at least once in a while I should get what I really wanted instead of just settling.

Christina protested, sweetly smiling, of course.

I complained that it is hard for an old guy like me to get taken seriously. The world bows down for the pretty people. My sneer was weak. I tried to tell her that I had been talking to Cary, the manager, about all the slacking off I’d seen around Aimee’s and maybe she should think hard about whether she wanted to keep working at Aimee’s.

Christina laughed.

I turned to Reid standing farther back and asked him what he thought, did he want to keep his job? He hopped to, and said “Yes, sir,” and “What can I get for you, sir?”

I said, “I’d like a Limonada in a classy glass with ice and a slice of lime.” Reid jumped to the refrigerator and pulled out the glass and lime and began to pour the Limonada into the glass. It was when he began to slice the lime that Christina cracked up. Her very words: “I’m so tickled right now.”

Best Limonada I ever drank.

When I asked Christina later how long I would have had to yell at her before she might begin to think that I was really angry, she suggested maybe ten minutes. And even then …


I must have been a fool to think I could pull off ‘irate.’ Still, it turned out to be a perfect set up. And all that laughter only cost me a lime.















And give Reid some credit. And, the idea started with a photo of San Pellagrino in a classy glass in Scotland taken by Bailie - a former Aimee's barista.


Some say they celebrate April Fool’s Day year around at Aimee’s - at least when I show up.


And now for some Beatles while you wait for your order. And don't forget to tip the baristas. You can buy a San Pellagrino at the grocery store. But trust me, they taste better at Aimee's.





No comments:

Post a Comment