Monday, July 8, 2013

Uncle Ray

I couldn’t help myself –
            well actually I did –
to a burger and a brat
            off his grill,
and I laughed
            heartily at him
as he faced with chagrined
            humor, the spot on the roof
from where he had tossed the dog’s Frisbee 
            off not many minutes earlier –
I should know,
            I held a glass of iced tea
and my end of the ladder we had just carried
            back to the barn.
And from my rocking chair on the deck
             I heard his formula one racer
screaming through the trees
            and cutting over the grass
his hands and eyes coordinating
            the horizontal flight.
And then later in the darkening light
            on the far side of the pond
two figures, his nephew and he, I could see dimly,
            close enough to hear the click, click, click
of the frogs and the lighter,
            then a momentary orange glow,
then sparks trailing from a fuse,
            then pale legs running away so fast
I could scarcely tell the man from the boy.
            One aerial missile burst
much nearer the ground than the air
            but nobody died
and ninety-nine more streaked higher
            toward the stars
and then exploded
            into a million colored embers
drifting like fallen patriots
            back to the earth
dark by then, but I still counted
            each one and myself lucky
to have witnessed the spectacular show.
            Still I sat through the national anthem
sang by a folk rock bass near the water lilies,
            but by the rocket’s red glare
I saw that my youth was still there
            And the red white and blue
flew bright in the night
            on the fourth
at Uncle Ray’s farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment